6 October 2012

Liverpool Hoping To Kick On This Season


By Liverpool supporter Jay Smith: https://twitter.com/jaysmith93

Being a Liverpool fan in the modern day is a hard, heartbreaking experience. Being a Stoke fan, on the other hand, is the complete opposite. Since returning to top flight football in 2008, Stoke have been a team that are unpredictable. 

Liverpool have struggled against Stoke in the league in recent years, losing one and drawing one last year. Despite knocking Stoke out of both the FA and League cup, their league form against them is outrageous.

After Thursday’s performance there are a few positives despite the loss to a team that Liverpool, at home, should be beating. The younger players in the team such as Jack Robinson, Jonjo Shelvey and Raheem Sterling, who was subbed on late in the game, showed much more fighting spirit. 

Once again Liverpool fans were left questioning the heart and desire of the once great, Pepe Reina. Since the beginning of last season, Reina’s form has been more than questionable. At times it seems as though he can’t even be bothered to play in a Liverpool shirt anymore and he’s just doing it for the money.

Hopefully we will see Suso again tomorrow against Stoke. The young Spaniard has been on the lips of Liverpool fans since around Christmas time and Brendan has come in and brought him into the first team picture along with Jonjo and Raheem. 

I believe Liverpool will take the 3 points tomorrow, if Suarez can find his shooting boots again, Sterling and Sahin start and we cut down the defensive mistakes that have cost us so dearly this season. 

Today Daniel Agger penned a new deal with the club. This is delightful news for all Liverpool fans that feared we were going to lose our best centre back. In such little time Brendan Rodgers already knows who his best players are. 

He stated his delight today: “He's one of the best centre-backs in world football. His balance, his reading of the game, his defensive qualities and his ability to bring it out from the back is outstanding.”

Another one of Liverpool’s young players Jordan Henderson has shared his desire to stay at the club for the remainder of his career: “When I put the shirt on it is a real honour to go out and play for Liverpool so I want to do that for the rest of my career. I will keep fighting and I have belief in my own ability that I can be a success here."

Captain Steven Gerrard believes he can still improve under Brendan Rodgers. “There are certainly things I can still improve on by working with him.” He said. “I'm enjoying working with him on a daily basis, and I think my form recently has been really good.

"I'm enjoying my football, and I'm really looking forward to the next two years I'm contracted for and hopefully more, to add some chapters to a career I'm really proud of."

1 comment: